Share hope with others!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Growing from Pain

    (traduccion español)

    When I was young, I used to complain about aching and pain in my joints. I was told that these were "growing pains" - and that everybody goes through this, and that growing pains means I am getting taller.

    But "growing pains" are not just limited to adolescence…we experience growing pains throughout life. My biggest growing pain is my illness with central nervous system vasculitis. It has been during my journey with this illness that I have experienced the most growth and learned the most about life.

    Henri Nouwen said, "We fail to see the place of suffering in the broader scheme of things. We fail to see that suffering is an inevitable dimension of life. Because we have lost perspective, we fail to see that unless one is willing to accept suffering properly, he or she is really refusing to continue in the quest for maturity. To refuse suffering is to refuse personal growth."

    How then can we accept suffering properly?
    The first thing we need to remember is to be patient. I know that patience is not one of my strongest qualities. We live in a world with instant gratification so sometimes we expect God to instantly answer our prayers. But God's ways are higher than ours, and He has specific purposes behind His answers to our prayers that we might not understand in this lifetime.

    So while we're in pain and suffering, we hold on to our hope that this too shall pass. And we are patient in waiting during God's silence at these times of our lives. And while we wait on God's answer, we are constant in prayer. (Romans 12:12: "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.")

    1 Peter 5:10: "And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." After God has confirmed, strengthened, and established you - you can then learn from your suffering and see how you have grown from it.

    How have I grown from my pain?
  1. By having to change life plans because of my illness, I have learned to lean not on my own understanding but trust in God's plans for me. I have learned not to depend on myself but to depend on God most, because He is always in control.  (Proverbs 3:5)
  2. By gaining lots of weight on prednisone and losing hair due to chemotherapy, I have remembered that true beauty comes from within. That the heart is more important than the outward appearance and the heart's beauty never perishes, no matter what medication I may be on.  (1 Samuel 16:7)
  3. By wondering if a cure will ever be found for my illness, I have learned to live with a steadfast hope. By the helpful hands of people in my life who have given hope to me, I have learned to give hope to others. (Isaiah 40:31)
  4. By breaking down in tears on a bad day with my illness, I remember that just because I am a Christian, I am not entitled to have every single one of my prayers answered, that God's grace is always sufficient for me, and His power can be made perfect in my weakness. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

  5. When you experience pain, think of them as growing pains too....because through suffering, we build our resilience, our endurance, and our strength. 

    2 Timothy 1:7, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."




1 comment:

Free Inspirational E-cards