Share hope with others!

Friday, March 2, 2012

A Strength that Lasts


Today I saw my neurologist and he told me that he would like me to try a new seizure medication (my fifth one!) and hopefully this time, I won't develop any more allergies. The reason for this is that my last EEG showed that there are areas in my brain still at risk for seizures, and being on this medication will help prevent me from having another episode of severe subclinical seizures.

I wouldn't mind the medications if it weren't for the side effects. Another big side effect of this seizure medication is fatigue - which is usual for seizure medications. However I was a bit disappointed to hear that I might be more tired again, just as I was beginning to regain my old energy levels.

Last fall, I was on three types of seizure medications that caused me severe fatigue. I was so weak that my husband was kind enough to always carry all the grocery bags from the car to the house. Physical weakness is a part of life…sometimes we feel weak when we are sick, and as adults get older, they begin to lose physical strength.

We do not have much control over how physically strong we are. No matter how much I lift weights, I am probably too small to ever be as physically strong as my husband. But there is another kind of strength that we have control over.

It is the strength of the heart. When I was 17 years old and my body started deteriorating in the ICU because of my illness, my parents told me that other organs began failing too and it was only my heart that was keeping strong - probably because I was a physically active teenager. However, I am not talking about that kind of "strong heart" - I am talking about a heart of hope, faith and courage.

While we may not be able to control our physical strength, we can always CHOOSE the strength of our heart. When faced with trials, you can choose the level of your courage. Do you retreat and wait for the trial to pass you by, or do you face it with courage and let your trial make you stronger than the person you were before?

A heart of strength is what helps you endure when life gets rocky. When I was weak from the chemotherapy and fatigued from the seizure medications, it was my heart of strength that led me to write this blog, so I can share my hope in everyday with all of you.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "We acquire the strength we have overcome." The next time you face times of trouble, remember that it is during these times of trouble that we have the opportunity to grow deeper in faith, and strengthen our hearts.

Richard E.Byrd said, "Few (people) during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are never used."  Never underestimate the strength of your heart. Whenever you feel like you are not strong enough to handle what you are going through, know that there is a God who loves you and has promised to give you His strength when you ask for it. Psalm 138:3, "When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted."

A heart of strength also requires daily exercise to keep it strong. You can maintain your heart of strength with positive thinking, counting your blessings, living with hope, and finding the purpose in the pain.

I choose to let my heart be stronger than the sum of all my problems.
To let my faith be always stronger than my health.
To let my hope always be stronger than central nervous system vasculitis

And, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13




No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Inspirational E-cards