Share hope with others!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Listening for "The Voice of Truth" - based on "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns



When I was young, I used to play with my invisible friends. Using my imagination, I crafted characters with complex background stories to join me during my playtime. I invited my actual real friends to join me in my imagination games, and we were content as children, personally deciding and controlling what our invisible friends said or did. We spoke the voices for the characters that we created from our imaginations.

While growing up, I stopped speaking for my invisible friends, and began speaking more for myself. After a while, I found that not everyone wanted to listen to what I had to say, and some thought I didn't have anything important to say anyway. When I got sick at seventeen years old with a rare neurological disease that would stay with me for the rest of my life, I began to lose my own voice and started to depend on the voices of others.

There are many voices in our lives. Some are good, and some are bad. Some voices help us make our own voice stronger, while other voices stifle us and prevent us from growing and developing our character.

When I was 17, after having to life direction and take another look at life because of what my illness had brought me, I began to listen to the voices that could guide me.

But some voices just weren't helpful. There were voices of doctors who told me that I shouldn't go back to school yet because I wasn't as smart as I used to be, and that I would graduate below the class average.  There were voices who said that I should never leave my hometown because I would not be able to take care of myself independently with this new illness that I will have for the rest of my life.

And for a while I listened to those voices…until the Voice of Truth told me, "No…this is not what I have planned for you." I knew that God had made me with special gifts to use for His purposes, and that His plans for me would not be able to come to pass if all I did was sit at home and wait, listening to voices that spoke out of fear and doubt.

I refused to believe that God would give me the talent to excel academically and then take it all away…and so I went back to school to finish my senior year of high school - against the advice of most teachers and doctors - and I maintained my health, and graduated with honours and academic awards. God's Voice was the "voice" that spoke truth during this time.

I love this song, "The Voice of Truth" by Casting  Crowns - because it speaks to us about the struggles we have in life, the discouragement that people sometimes give, and the reminders of our mistakes in the past.

There will always be voices beginning with words such as "you can't…" or "you're not good enough" or "you will never…"

Vincent Van Gogh said, "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." Dare to defy the voices around you that tell you that you aren't good enough, or that you will never measure up.

The only Voice we ever need to listen to is the "Voice of Truth." God said, "But whoever listens to me will dwell safely, and will be secure, without fear of evil" (Proverbs 1:33). Why listen to voices who make us afraid or make us doubt ourselves - when all we need to do is listen to God's voice for safety, security and courage?

How can we listen for God's voice? Well for starters, He has given us the lovely gift of the Bible where we can hear His words anytime we like. The more time we spend in prayer and listen for God's voice, the more receptive we can be to the messages He has for us. Prayer should be a two-way conversation…when you pray, don't forget to listen for the Voice on the other side of the conversation.

God's voice can also be echoed by others around us who give us verbal affirmation on things that are true in life and bring glory to God. For example, if you have a special talent that God would like you to use more often to help others, He may use somebody to speak with you to encourage you to foster that talent for God.

God's Voice is the one that decides all things. When a giant is telling you, "you'll never win" or reminds you of all the times you've tried before and failed - remember that God's voice gives strength, and just like David - you can knock down that giant in your life with one single stone.

I've had many giants in my life. The scariest giant is called "Central Nervous System Vasculitis" and it tells me that I will always be burdened by this disease, I will never have a cure, and I won't be able to live the life I desire because I am constricted by its limitations. It reminds me every day that it can attack me anytime it wants to or damage my brain permanently.

I could listen to the voices telling me that this giant is too big for me. They tell me that there are smaller giants I can defeat, but this giant is too much and I will never win. The voices tell me I should give up before I lose myself in trying to take down the giant.

David pulled five smooth stones out of the water to prepare for his fight with the Philistine giant. The giant was huge, had more war experiences, and carried weapons far more advanced than a simple sling shot and a stone.

David said to the Philistine, “...This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. 47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands" )1 Samuel 17: 46-47).

Despite all the voices telling him that he couldn't win, David took down the giant - with God's help - in one single blow, so that everyone can know that God is the One True God.

I will take down my giant - because I believe in the Voice of Truth. From talking to other people who also have my illness, I have noticed how blessed I am not to have any chronic symptoms with my disease. My disease has flared up three times, but it has never bothered me on a daily basis. My husband told me that when we were at the hospital for my last flare up, the doctors wanted to retest me because they thought it was strange that I had not had any symptoms for six years. They thought I might have been misdiagnosed.

But I wasn't misdiagnosed. Instead, I believe that God is with me - taking down my giant. His Voice of Truth comforts me and tells me that I do not need to be a slave to my disease. 1 John 5:4 says: "For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith."

And if my giant tries to take me down again, I will be calling on God to fight along side me, because "If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31).

Out of all the voices calling out to you today, I invite you to choose to listen to the Voice of Truth. He can help you take down your giants.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Inspirational E-cards