Share hope with others!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Let it Be - Based on the Original Song by the Beatles




For most of us, when we see something broken, we have an urge to fix it. Sometimes we even have a need to fix it.  If your fridge breaks, you fix it. If your computer breaks, it seems like whole your world will fall apart until you get it fixed. If you break a bone, you go to the doctor to fix it.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

There are many things that just can't be fixed. And there are things that can't be fixed right away, and we have to wait for circumstances outside our control to fix them. And it's during these times of trouble, that our only response is to let things be.

When Paul McCartney wrote this song, people weren't sure if he was talking about the Virgin Mary, or the angel of his mother, who was also named Mary. I am not a Catholic so I don't put a lot of emphasis on Mother Mary or a guardian angel, but I do believe that during these specific times of trouble, God does whisper words of wisdom to us. Words to encourage us and give us hope. Words to give us strength to continue.

Of course I don't mean that you should stop and literally listen to words of wisdom being whispered in your ear, but we can hear God's words through other ways in our lives. Sometimes Gods uses people to send us His message. Sometimes God will bring up a thought in your mind or remind you of a special Bible verse you had once memorized a long time ago.

Last autumn, I was feeling tired and useless when all the medications I was currently on were weighing me down. A friend - who did not even know exactly what I was feeling - posted this Bible verse on Facebook. When I came across it, it definitely lifted my spirits. Think upon this verse as your words of wisdom during your times of trouble:

Isaiah 41:10 "So do not fear, for I am with you;  do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you;   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. "

"And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be."

Darkness is what happens when there is no light. In life, the hour of darkness can happen at different times. For me, the light in my life includes my family, my friends, good health and other things I value in my life. When something happens to my light, that's when my hour of darkness appears. When something you value is at risk, your hour of darkness can appear.

I've had many hours of darkness in my life. My most recent one was just a while ago when I developed a severe allergic reaction for the my current seizure medication. I have already developed allergic reactions to all of the last three seizure medications I had been on, and just when I thought I was close to the finish line and on my way to remission - this new allergic reaction casted a shadow on me.

My allergic reaction caused a bad rash to spread all over my body, and swelling in my face. Last time, the swelling was so bad on my face that it got the point where I almost couldn't open my eyes. I am glad my new doctors caught this allergic reaction early to prevent anything worse from happening, but still, it was kind of a downer to go from being energetic and active one week, and then spending the next week sleeping most of the day on the couch, and going back and forth from a fever.

There's nothing I can do about this allergic reaction. All I can do is let it be and wait it out. I did stop taking the medication so my allergic reactions should stop soon, and my skin will clear soon from my anti-allergy medications.  But until then, I have to let things be. But at least I know that even during these times of trial in my life when I can't see what the future holds, there is always Someone who is Unseen who is there for me.

God has promised us His Holy Spirit, and when we don't know what words to say to God during our hour of darkness, the Holy Spirit does. Romans 8:26 says: "…the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."

"There will be an answer, let it be."

To many troubles in life, we may not know the answers to "why" and "how", and maybe the answer will take longer than we expect. All we can do during this time is to let it be. One of the sayings that stuck with me that one pastor said in church was, "Let go and let God."

"And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me
Shine until tomorrow, let it be."

Just because we're experiencing times of trouble doesn't mean it should affect everything in our life. When I feel troubled, I know that I can count on my husband to lift me up. And I know that when I'm alone and feeling like I want to fall apart, I know that God's light always shines on me and that He comforts me in the palm of His hand.

Think of the sources of light in your life. What light shines on you when your night is cloudy?

There are many things in my life that I wish I had control over - but I don't. When you can't fix it, let it be, let go, and let God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Inspirational E-cards