Share hope with others!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Living Life


One of the greatest women who ever lived was Mother Teresa…she dedicated her life to helping the less fortunate and giving hope to those who were weary. This is a beautiful quote to remember when you contemplate to yourself, "What should I do with my life?"

This is a question that has been on my mind a lot lately. For a while, I thought I knew what I was doing with my life. When I got married last April in 2011, my husband and I were planning on moving to Toronto where I had just been accepted to the Master in Social Work program. But after coming home from our honeymoon, this plan changed when we found out that my illness (central nervous system vasculitis) was active again after six years of remission. 

When you live with an illness without a cure…it can change your life at anytime. I live with an invisible illness that chooses to present itself at random times…and research still does not know why my immune system decides to attack when it does. When my illness attacks, I could be in a coma, I could have a stroke, I could have a seizure, or I could forget how to read and write.

Because of my health status, my husband and I decided that it was not the right time to have the stress of moving across the country and starting graduate school. At that time, it seemed like my illness was stealing opportunities away from me again like it did when it first struck when I was 17.

But like I said in my first post, if I had not gotten sick at 17, I would not be the same person I am today - and because of that, I rejoice in my own illness.

"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it."
My illness flared again last September when I was hospitalized for three weeks when I had non-stop seizures and hallucinations. After coming home from the hospital, I prayed to God and asked Him what I should be doing with my life. What possible use can I be while I am just sitting at home, tired from chemotherapy, and not yet fit to enter the work force? It was during this time I started writing this blog and I started a support group on Facebook so that I can reach out to others who live with an illness and in need of hope.

We don't have a choice on how life can change at any moment, but we can choose to decide how we can make that change benefit us. When life gives you unwanted lemons, you always have the recipe to make lemonade.

"Life is a beauty, admire it." Life can seem ugly and tiring at times. A while ago, I spent three days with an on and off fever. My rheumatologist was worried that I might have an infection in my brain fluid. This started to worry me too. But like Jesus said, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:27). So why waste moments focusing on the ugly? Everyday may not be a good day, but as long as you have a reason to live, life is beautiful.

"Life is a dream, realize it." Sometimes it feels like life takes away the dreams we've hold on to for so long or the goals that we desire. But life is a journey - and it doesn't take away dreams, it changes them. Right now, I thought I would be at a social work internship at a children's hospital working toward a social work degree in public health. But instead, I am waiting on God to see what He wills for me - because God knows the plans He has for me, and these are plans to prosper me, and give me hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).

"Life is a challenge, meet it." Whoever says that life is easy must not have a very strong character. It is the challenges of life that build up our strength of character and our fortitude to withstand even stronger storms. The apostle Paul - in the Bible - suffered from a thorn in the flesh. He prayed to God for healing but did not receive it. Instead, God told him: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9). In response, Paul said, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

You can read me boast about the thorn in my flesh in my first blog.

"Life is a duty, complete it." When the going gets tough, keep going with it. Don't quit. There are no prizes for people who don't cross the finish line.

"Life is a game, play it." Remember that even when it's raining on life, you can still choose to dance in the rain.

"Life is a promise, fulfill it." Jesus promised us: "I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid." Since Jesus is perfect, He cannot break His promise. And since this promise was not given to us by the world, we know that it is a promise that will be fulfilled. Jesus has sent us the Holy Spirit to give us peace of mind and heart in life.

"Life is sorrow, overcome it." Jesus said, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." When you have Jesus in your heart, you can overcome any sorrow in the world.

"Life is a song, sing it." Let your life be a song that is a beautiful melody to those who hear it.

"Life is a struggle, accept it." As another wise person said: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

"Life is a tragedy, confront it." If you're not happy with life circumstances, then change it. If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it and remember that God can bring something good out of any situation.

"Life is an adventure, dare it." You can do anything through Christ who strengthens you (Philippians 4:13).

"Life is luck, make it." Despite your circumstances, every new day is another opportunity to change your future and make your luck.

"Life is life, fight for it!" Fight for the life that you want, and when you don't know how to fight anymore, it's okay because God will take care of it. Exodus 14:14 says: "The Lord will fight for you. You need only to be still."

Life is a gift worth living…how you decide to live it, is your gift to yourself.



5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Life is beautiful because God is the creator! Thanks for this! Keep up the faith! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for comment! Sometimes it is hard to see beauty in life when it's dark or painful times, but I think beauty is always present, since God can make beautiful things out of the dust.
      Sister in Christ,
      Chelsey

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing this. It's really beautiful. God bless you more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supplements For Fitness Appetite suppressants promote weight loss by making you eat less, which naturally means you will not consume as many calories. The metabolism boosters work in the other part of the weight loss equation by .
    https://www.supplementsforfitness.com/

    ReplyDelete

Free Inspirational E-cards